Saturday 10 July 2010

No.27 - The Queens Head, Brandeston, Suffolk

Saturday 10th July, 2010

It was Trimley carnival day today, so as Clare and Flo were off to watch Auntie Vee take part I thought I'd take the opportunity to take a little ride out and Blog. So I grabbed the camera and my route map and headed off to the village of Brandeston. Could I find the place ? It took me ages driving around and around little country lanes and too be honest I nearly gave up, but something made me turn left at Brandeston Hall and there she was, The Queens Head.
This AA rosette establishment looked pretty as a picture in the sunshine and as I parked up I began to think that this flying visit wasn't going to be long enough to enjoy the whole experience. I made my way in and I was greeted by a very nice clean and new looking bar area. It was a very 'new timber' effect which at first site didn't really fit in with the rest of the older looking beams and flooring, but it didn't take long to appreciate that in fact it did. The whole pub is a bit of a mish mash interior but strangely it works. The fireplace too, although obviously not in use, also looked like it had been designed intently for this bar area.

The Adnams cask beers on offer was limited as only Bitter and Broadside were available, but they were selling bottled Spindrift, Gunhill and Explorer, which is always nice I think to have that take away option. Along with the beers to take out, there were jars and jars of home made chutneys, which I admit I was very tempted to purchase. The sliced beetroot and pear took my eye! I took my beer (Bitter) outside in the sun and enjoyed my surroundings. It was very, very quiet with only the local ducks making a bit of a racket. It was still fairly early in the day I guess for all the locals to be making an appearance, but I expected there to be more than just me out in the garden, mind you I wasn't complaining. The outside decor of the pub was also very attractive and nicely kept. The benches looked very new and there were hanging baskets everywhere with some beautiful climbers scrambling their way up the side of the pub.

The pub and village does have a bit of history to it. Apart from being one of the very few villages in the country to avoid the plague, one of the regular visitors all those years ago was a self styled Witchfinder General. The 20 something year old was actually paid to unearth Witchcraft taking place in the village, which unfortunately for the local vicar of Brandeston led to some finger pointing and accusations aimed at him, that he was actually involved with the devil! He was eventually 'swum' in the moat at Framlingham Castle before being hung. Hmm nice!
On a brighter note, one thing I did notice, which I'm sure Clare won't be interested in, was the fact that there was camping available right out the back of the pub. Cool, what a place to pitch up!!!

No comments: