Monday 5 July 2010

No.26 - The Cherry Tree, Woodbridge, Suffolk

Saturday 3rd July, 2010
Having been taken to Notcutts garden centre by my ladies for Father's Day a couple of weekends prior, it was noted by my keen bloggers eye how close to The Cherry Tree the garden centre actually was. About 20 metres away !!! So, 2 weeks on, and after a wonderful couple of hours spent in Woodbridge park having a picnic in the sun, I decided that the 3 of us would stop for a pint of finest on our way home.
We arrived at the 17th Century public house at about 3.30pm. It had been a beautiful day weather wise and we were all gasping for a drink. We parked up in the ample sized car park and made base at one of the nice sized tables outside. I left Clare to sort out young Flo while I made my way in to order beverages.
The interior of the pub resembled the true age of the pub. There were a number of open fire places, twisted oak beams running through the bar area and also some rather low sloping ceilings. Luckily I had my wits about me and avoided any smacked heads! Eight cask ales were available, 4 of them were Adnams. The Bitter, Broadside, Explorer and Regatta. It was Regatta all the way for me with Clare indulging in a thirst quenching pint of diet coke. While waiting to be served I had a little wander around the pub and sneaked a peek inside the Tap and Spile room which I assume is available for booking for a family get together. There were hundreds of pump badges all over the room on the walls and ceiling. Looked very cool. Hmmm....I wonder !!??
Back outside and Florence was charging about the large garden and children's play area, which was well kept and created a real nice family and child friendly feel. The garden had actually won the Adnams Best Pub Garden award back in 2009, and also the pub itself had won the Community pub of the year from Adnams in 2008, so this place is well worth a visit. Accommodation is also available at the pub with the Grade II listed barn at the bottom of the garden being converted into 4* accommodation. What more could you want ?
It was time to get going at 5ish as it was teatime for a certain little lady, who had done very well to last as long as she had. This was now our 2nd Adnams pub visited in Woodbridge and both of them are well up there at the top of the favourite list, and could be hard to knock off such was the standard of them both. But, there are still plenty more to visit!!

No comments: