Monday 19 July 2010

No.29 - The Maybush, Waldringfield, Suffolk

Saturday 17th July, 2010
A sunny Saturday lunchtime, and what better place to go visit than The Maybush. With Clare indulging in some spa activities I thought I would take a drive over to Waldringfield to visit the newly acquired, former Deben Inn pub, The Maybush
Joining me for the afternoon was my mum, Tony, Sister Loops and of course little Florence, who is never one to miss out on a day out. We arrived at about 12.45ish, just before the mad lunch rush, and grabbed a decent table overlooking the river Deben. It was a sublime spot and one which I know myself and Tony could have sat in for a few more hours than we actually did, given a chance !
The Maybush is the focal point for the village of Waldringfield providing a smashing atmosphere for both people like ourselves and the locals which use the pub - many of them boat and yacht people.
The pub features a number of areas from the bright and airy conservatory, where there were a number of spectacular looking lunches on show, to the small cosy enclaves by the open fires. A spot which I imagine is sought after during the winter months. The pub also features some lovely large windows which enables drinkers and eaters alike to gaze out across the Deben to watch the large wildlife and boating fraternity getting on with their business.
On tap we had a nice choice. There was Spindrift, Bitter, Broadside and Gunhill all available. Tony plumped for a couple of pints of Broadside while I tried out the Gunhill. Both of us were very happy with our choices with the standard of beer perfect - as we have now come to expect with these Adnams pubs.

The lunches which we ordered were also very tasty and the portions very good for the price. Just for the record, I was very healthy and went for a prawn and crayfish salad - although I did have it with chips!
As the afternoon drew on, Florence was becoming more adventurous and began to slowly realise that the river on the other side of the fence looked very appealing. It was at this point that we decided it was probably a good time to get going, as speaking for myself, one was ready for a lay down !!! We left the pub at about 3.20pm and being so close to home we were there by 3.40pm. As this pub is so close, next time I visit, it could well be on a bike.

No comments: